Showcasing the Marvelous Marsupial in Bullion
The Australian Koala Coin has been produced as a series of limited-edition issues by the the Australian Perth Mint. These bullion coins are minted to commemorate Australia’s iconic animal, the koala, while it is perched in a eucalyptus tree as it browses for its favorite food. The coin comes in silver, gold and platinum varieties, and in a number of sizes and weights. These coins were first produced in 1987 and are still minted today. Because of the wide variety of bullion types and weights, different price points are available, making this coin a favorite for most any collector.
Koala Facts for the Collector and Investor
Koala are considered wonderful cuddly creatures by Australians and visitors to the Land Down Under alike. Many people think they are bears or even “teddy bears”. But they’re not. Here’s a few interesting facts:
- Koalas are not bears but are plant-eating marsupials.
- These marsupials are native only to eastern Australia.
- They are very fussy eaters, preferring to dine on a few select species of Eucalyptus tree leaves.
- A koala’s pregnancy lasts 35 days. When the baby, known as a joey, is born, it is only 2 cm long.
- After birth, the joey spends 6 months in the mother’s pouch developing.
- Today there are only 2,000 to 8,000 koalas in the wild! Although not officially classified as endangered, the population of Australian koalas has dropped by 90% in less than a decade (source: KoalaExpress).
Buying the Australian Koala Coin
Many collectors and investors want to add the Australian Koala Coin to their collections. They are readily available from Amazon and on eBay. These can be great sources and you can find them there at good prices.
Many folks like to do their bullion coin buying from trusted dealers. BGASC Gold and Silver Coins is an excellent source for the Koala bullion Coin. These coins make excellent gifts. You can get them here: